Saturday, January 30, 2010

Oh the things we will do.....

As everyone knows I love my kids. For those of you that don't have kids, I am going to teach you a valuable life lesson, for those of you who do have kids, just smile and nod while you read this and enjoy.

Before becoming a parent, no one ever warns you what is to happen to you when your child/children arrive. As children, we adults can all recall how we would sulk in our rooms and imagine how when we had kids there was no way we would act like our parents. We were going to be better parents than our parent were. Don't deny it, I know it's true. The one thing I have discovered as a parent is that you tend to do some things just simply to see your kids smile, hear them laugh and just come up to hug you and thank you. That is a simple enjoyment that is like air to me.

Now these things don't have to be big things. Even the simplest thing can bring a smile to your kids face and can at times make you feel like a Rock star. For example, Abi loves school and one thing that she enjoys is school parties for holiday's (what kid doesn't). What is truly awesome about this is sometimes I am able to go be a helper for these parties. Nothing is more beautiful to me than to see Abi smile when I tell her that I will be helping in her class. The first party this year was great and all of her classmates referred to me as Abi's mom (because they didn't believe my real name is Barbie) so now anytime I go help, Everyone screams,"Hi Abi's Mom!" Better than any standing ovation at a rock concert I guarantee it. This morning I was able to tell her how I will be in her class most of the day on Monday helping her teacher redo her bulletin boards. For that simple statement, I received a bone crushing hug and a sloppy kiss on the cheek, once again making me feel 40 feet tall.

Now that is one of the good parts. There are times that you find yourself doing things that aren't really your cup of tea. Today is one of those day's for me.

Now most of you know I grew up in the Mountains of North Carolina. While it is a back woods town, not all inhabitants are rednecks (while there are many that are). There are quite a few normal people like my family. Now there are certain things in the world that are labeled as things that "rednecks" like. Nascar,Hunting, Fishing, Camping, chewing tobacco, spitting in spit cups, watching fishing on TV, watching hunting on TV and monster trucks. Today I get to take my children to Monster Jam (that is the big Monster Truck thing where they race and crush cars). My children think that it is AWESOME! I, however, think that is a loud, messy and obnoxious thing and get no enjoyment out of it.

There will be some enjoyment for me. That is to see Abi and Buddy's face light up watching this. Hearing Abi's maniacal laugh when a monster truck wrecks or crushes something. Listening to Buddy explain what is going on (even though I already know) and pretend he is telling me new and exciting news. Watching my loving husband watching my kids and knowing he is not only enjoying the kids reaction, but he is enjoying the big trucks to.

Now after this event I can guarantee that I will have a massive headache, but I won't be miserable. The reason I won't be miserable is because I know that even though we are having it a little tough right now as a family with these trying economic times, today none of us have to worry about that. All I have to worry about today is taking the right pictures of Abi and Buddy with the Monster Trucks, watching them laugh and cheer for their favorite truck (Grave Digger) and just making sure Maddie doesn't melt down.

So take this time to think about how many times your parent/parents went somewhere they didn't want to go. How many times did they do something you wanted to do when they would have rather of been in a 1,000 other places? What did you do when your parent did this? Did you thank them? I think this is the perfect opportunity to either go hug your parent/parents or call them and just thank them (not for anything specific) and just tell them that you love them. Be a good kid go brighten your parents day. If your parents are walking with the Lord, take a minute to thank God that he created such wonderful people to bring you into this world and making you who you are. Trust me not only will it brighten their day, it will give you a little pep in your step as well.

The moral of the story today is mostly for those of you who do not have children. The moral is this: When you have kids be prepared to go places you don't want to go, see things you don't want to see, here things you don't want to here, but while all that is going on know that your child is in one of his/her happiest places in the universe!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Barbie! Such great insights!

    Although, now I'm concerned that I'm either a terribly ungrateful child or that my parents didn't enjoy my reactions because I was such a picky child. I can't recall my parents ever taking me somewhere they didn't want to go, or doing something I wanted to do that they didn't.

    I feel like I learned to be thankful, generous or giving to others by my friend's examples to me. I've always been a good copy cat and am grateful for the traits I have that my excellent friends have shown me to emulate.

    ReplyDelete